Indiana Historic Shipwrecks
Indiana University Center for Underwater Science has been conducting ongoing archaeological monitoring and photogrammetric surveys of the historic shipwrecks the Muskegon and the J.D. Marshall to produce 3D photogrammetric models to assist with management decisions and provide public outreach support, along with interpretive models for education. This project is funded from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Lake Michigan Coastal Program and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Built in 1872 as the Peerless, the Muskegon was a steamship that operated on the Great Lakes until it was abandoned in 1911. Having functioned as a passenger freighter, a lumber-hooker, and a sand-sucker during its service, the Muskegon represents important innovations in commerce, engineering, industry, and transportation. Following former Indiana State Archaeologist Gary Ellis’ initial 1987 documentation of the shipwreck, the Muskegon became the first shipwreck in the state of Indiana accepted to the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in late 19th / early 20th century Great Lakes Naval History.
Built in 1891 by J.C. Perene at South Haven, Michigan, as an open hulled wooden steamer, the J.D. Marshall was initially used in the Great Lakes lumber trade business.Following the insurance settlement over the loss of the Muskegon in 1910, the Independent Sand and Gravel Company purchased the J.D. Marshall and had her refitted for the gravel business with many of the salvaged items from the Muskegon. On June 9, 1911, the J.D. Marshall sprang a leak and sank, claiming four lives, about 300 yards from what is now the Indiana Dunes State Park. The J.D. Marshall is currently a dedicated Indiana Nature Preserve.