Built in 1872 as the Peerless, the Muskegon was a steamship that operated on the Great Lakes until it was abandoned in 1911. The Muskegon became the first shipwreck in the state of Indiana accepted to the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in late 19th / early 20th century Great Lakes Maritime History.
Built in 1891 by J.C. Perene at South Haven, Michigan, as an open hulled wooden steamer, the J.D. Marshall was initially used in the Great Lakes lumber trade business. Following the insurance settlement over the loss of the Muskegon in 1910, the Independent Sand and Gravel Company purchased the J.D. Marshall and had her refitted for the gravel business with many of the salvaged items from the Muskegon.